On June 11th, Apple held it's World Wide Developers Conference. This conference is geared towards the people that develop the software and apps that run on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac. The majority of conference is really technical stuff that the average consumer wouldn't care about but there is plenty of stuff that you would care about and I am going to highlight that stuff in this blog post.
- USB 3.0
- MagSafe 2
- Faster Intel Processors
- FaceTime HD camera
- Faster Graphics
- Faster Memory
- Faster Storage
- Bluetooth 4.0
Apple also released a MacBook Pro with a Retina Display. This is a very high end portable computer that is being marketed to the pro user and the early adopter. The technology that Apple showed off in this computer is very exciting and will trickle down to the rest of Apple's computers in the next year or two. The new MacBook Pro with a Retina Display starts at $2199.
OSX Mountain Lion
Apple announced that OSX Mountain Lion will be available in July 2012. You will be able to download it from the Mac App Store for $19.99. It will include over 200 new features.
Some of the highlights include:
- New Messages, Reminders, and Notes apps
- Game Center
- Notification Center
- System wide Facebook integration (coming Fall 2012)
- System wide Twitter integration
- Safari 6
- Airplay streaming
- Documents in the cloud
You can check out Apple's Mountain Lion preview.
Apple announced that iOS 6 will be available in the fall for iPhone 3GS and newer, iPad 2 and newer, and the 4th generation iPod Touch. You will be able to download it for free via the Software Update. Some of the highlights include:
- New Maps app with turn-by-turn directions
- Improvements to Siri (sport scores, movie times, dinner reservations)
- Siri coming to the new iPad
- New Passbook app (keep track of your gift cards, plane tickets, hotel reservations, sports tickets)
- Mail app improvements (VIP feature, attach photos & videos while composing a new email)
- Facebook integration
- Photostream sharing
- FaceTime over cell networks
- Do Not Disturb
- Phone app improvements
- Safari improvements
- Remodeled stores (App Store, iTunes Store, iBooks Store)
You can check out Apple's iOS 6 Preview.
Besides the three major annoucements of new Macs, Mountain Lion, and iOS 6; Apple released the following:
- New AirPort Express (in my opinion the best wireless router on the market)
- New iPad Smart Case
- Minor hardware update to the Mac Pro
- Minor updates to iPhoto, Aperture, and iTunes
If you have been thinking about purchasing a new Mac and would like my help with the entire process of purchasing and setting it up, please contact me.