30 Second Tips - Mac Battery Health

This is the 35th post in a series called 30 Second Tips. My goal is to show you how to do some neat stuff in 30 seconds or less!

As your Mac gets older you may notice that your battery may not last as long as it use too.

According to MacRumor's Laptop Battery Guide:

Your battery carries a certain maximum charge. Every time your fully deplete the power equal to one maximum charge, your battery has gone through one cycle. For example, if your battery has a maximum charge of 5000 mAh (milliamp Hour), and you use this charge once (all 5000 milliamp hours), then you will have used one cycle. If you don’t use the entire charge at once (which is more likely, as most of us commute or need to charge our notebooks whenever we have the opportunity), the calculation remains fairly basic.

Example:
You have a fully charged battery (5000 mAh) and you use 2000 mAh in one sitting, charge it up back to 5000 mAh, and then use another 1000 mAh. How much have you used? The answer is 60% of one cycle. Why? 2000 mAh=40% of one cycle 1000 mAh=20% of one cycle Total=3000 mAh, or 60% of one cycle.

Thus, your battery goes through cycles on a fairly straight-forward basis; there is no need to fully deplete your battery every time.

There is a neat little app available from the Mac App Store called Battery Health. It informs you of the health of your battery.

To download Battery Health you can click on the link that I have included or open the Mac App Store and search for Battery Health.

To download click on the Free button.

Transient

Then click on the Install App button.

Transient

Enter the Apple ID & Password for your App Store account. If you have never downloaded anything from one of Apple's stores (iTunes, App Store, iBooks) then you will be prompted to create an account.

Transient

You can launch Battery Health by clicking on the Finder, navigating to your Applications folder, and double clicking the icon for Battery Health.

Transient

By default, Batter Health runs in the Menu Bar at the top of the screen. To view the app you must click on the little lightning bolt in the Menu Bar.

Transient

Battery Health will show you the current charge level, the health of your battery, estimated time remaining based on current charge for various activities, and details about your battery.

Transient