This is the 16th post in a series called Ask The Nice Guy. In this series I will attempt to provide answers to the various questions I get asked throughout the week.
What’s inside? Here are the questions answered in this blog post, boiled down to five word (or less) summaries.
- Portable Battery Pack
- Texting From iPad
- Sell Old Smartphone
QUESTION 1: Which Portable Battery Pack Would You Recommend?
A portable battery pack can be a great buy for people who travel and want to make sure that they don't find themselves in a position where they can't use their device because they forgot to charge it the night before and now you have a four hour wait at the airport (outlets at airports are always at a premium).
Based on my research I would recommend the Satechi 10000 MaH Portable Energy Station Extended Battery Charger Pack.
It costs around $60 and should work with most gadgets out there (not laptops). It has two USB ports on it so you can charge your smart phone and another device at the same time. At a full charge the Satechi should be able to fully charge an iPhone 5 six times and have a little juice leftover.
QUESTION 2: How Does Texting Work From The iPad?
The iPhone & iPad both have an app called Messages. The Messages app on the iPhone is capable of sending traditional text messages (SMS/MMS) while the Messages app on the iPad is not capable of sending traditional text messages (SMS/MMS).
The Messages app on the iPhone & iPad can send iMessages. iMessages can only be sent to other Apple devices (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Macs).
The reason you are able to "text" some people from your iPad is due to the fact that the iPad can send an iMessage to people you know that have an iPhone and/or iPad and have also registered their phone number or email address with iMessage.
QUESTION 3: SELLING OLD SMARTPHONE?
You can always sell used items on Craiglist and eBay. I am going to recommend a couple websites that are dedicated to either purchasing your used smartphone (Gazelle) or helping you sell your used smartphone to another buyer (Swappa).
Gazelle makes it really easy to sell your used smartphone. If you aren't selling one of the more popular phones (iPhone, Galaxy S3, Galaxy S4) you may not be offered a very good price though.
- Find your item on www.gazelle.com. If the item is not on our website, unfortunately we do not accept it. Please do NOT select an item if it does not exactly match your item exactly, we will not be able to offer you anything for it.
- Once you've found your item, let us know what condition its in by answering a few questions. Please remember the rating of "Flawless" would be for an item which appears and functions as if it has never been used.
- If you like our offer just complete the checkout process and tell us how you'd like to get paid: Check, PayPal or Amazon.com gift card.
- Shipping is FREE! We'll even send you a box for qualified orders (small electronics over $30.00).
- Our offer is good for 30 days but the faster you send it in, the quicker you'll get paid.
- Once we receive your box, the Gazelle team will check out the contents and pay you quickly.
Swappa allows you to list and sell your smartphone on a site dedicated for buyers and sellers of smartphones.
- No seller fees! Swappa does not charge listing or insertion fees. Buyer pays a flat "sale fee" only when listing sells.
- Get paid faster. A listing is not considered sold until the buyer pays.
- Our support staff are experienced mobile users. We are actually helpful and appreciate your business.
- Just mobile devices... Swappa is easy to use because it's just for buying and selling mobile devices.
- We use PayPal too, so you are protected.
If you appreciate the free content on NiceGuyTechnology.com please support Mike by shopping on Amazon. If you click on the link and buy something, Mike will receive a small percentage of your purchase and it won't cost you any extra! Thanks for your consideration!